So it was my birthday this week. To be honest I don’t like my birthday. I feel awkward. I don’t enjoy being the center of attention. And surprises make me horribly uneasy. I like to get presents (obviously) but I hate to unwrap them in front of the giver. What if I don’t like it? It’s hard to pick something for me I will like. I am shit at pretending. And I hate to give people a bad feel feeling especially when they were so nice to me. It makes us both feel bad and who wants that on their birthday?
I don’t say no to Birthday Cake though!
This year I had a pretty good birthday. I had brunch with my mum but spent the rest of the day on my own. In the afternoon I napped for two hours. Then I met with a bunch of my clostest friends for dinner. I had a lot of fun and a lot of wine. The evening was easy and relaxing. It was more just going out than celebrating my birthday. Exactly what I wanted.
I also don’t like to get older.
I feel like my physical age doesn’t match up with my mental age. But there is no denying that I move on in my 30s and because I am old and hence supposedly a little wiser now I thought this would be a good option to share my wisdom. In form of 32 things I learned over the course of the last year. Some are good things, some are sad things, some are just completely random – just like me.
You are very welcome….
32 things I learned last year
1. Setting boundaries can actually work
2. Until it doesn’t
3. Dunkin Donuts Key Lime Squares belong to the 8th circle of hell
4. Friendship is a two-way street
5. I really really really don’t like the middle seats on the plane
6. You can choose happiness! – something I seem to learn over and over again
7. Fried eggs pair well with basically everything!
8. I am really selfish and I don’t like to admit it
9. I suck at driving cars with automatic gearshift
10. Never say never – literally anything can happen in this world
11. I just don’t have a thick skin. And I am so not well balanced.
12. You have to grieve for your losses or the sadness won’t go away
13. Frying and poaching eggs, making a wicked gelato and a decent paneer
14. There will be always people in your life who have more power over you than you like
16. It’s okay that most people don’t get my humor. I cater for a special group of people
17. Apparently it’s an odd thing not to compare yourself with others in a competitive way
18. Sometimes you need to swallow your pride
19. Trusting people is freaking hard but I try
20. Owning your weirdness is a blissfully freeing experience
21. It’s important and necessary to have your own life even though your significant other is your best friend
22. When something is bothering you and you can’t pinpoint it, go for a walk
23. And sometimes wine is the answer
24. Some people just suck and that has nothing to do with you
25. Declutting is like therapy
26. Everyone is different – and fighting that is not working out in your favor
27. Non alcoholic wine should join Dunkin Donuts Key Lime Squares
28. As much as I try to will it away the sad truth is that I don’t handle grains and dairy very well
29. It’s okay to invest time in something that doesn’t lead to anything besides having a good time
30. You will fuck up a lot of things and that’s okay – it’s about how you handle the aftermath
31. Adults don’t automatically have their shit together. At all!
32. 32 won’t be that bad