It’s finally Friday friends and I am unable to hide my excitement. I have fun weekend plans and I am looking forward to a good mix of meeting friends, learning more about photography on Saturday and relaxing and having a PJ day on Sunday #weekendgoals 😉
I don’t know what’s that with me and hashtags at the moment. But let’s not think or talk about that at the moment. Because my mind it totally consumed by this Mexican Sweetpotato Fries Recipe!
It’s save to say that I had this dish at least 5 times over the last two weeks. Partly because it’s just amazing and a really quick and easy fix for my more than dominant cravings for all savory and spicy. But I am not going to lie I also had to make this dish a couple of times because I completely failed taking half decent pictures of it. Seriously picture wise this was the most frustrating recipe of my life.
Luckily cooking these Mexican Sweetpotato Fries have not failed a single time. They are more than easy to whip up and one of the only recipes I care to cook just for myself. I always post recipes on here that are measured for two people because well I usually feed two people. But this is so easily made for one person only that I thought it would be nice to post a single serving recipe because well sometimes I am alone at home and it gets boring to live off avocado toast and cottage cheese only.
When Stefan is around I just double the ingredients, take a larger skillet and voila I have a recipe for two. as easy as it gets!
If you have been around here for a while you might know that I always enjoy recipes that not only have one dominant taste but combine a whole bunch of flavors. This recipe is a great example for this concept. The sweetpotato brings some sweetness (surprise!) the black beans a hearty touch. The Sriracha and spices add a little heat to the party and the lemon adds the right zing and finishing touch.
I see that I do sound like a broken record but the theme here is definitely healthy comfort food lately. And I can’t see that changing anytime soon. Hell why should I even want this to change because can it get anymore awesome than healthy comfort food????
So make this recipe when you want to eat more veggies but your cravings for comfort food always get in your way! Double win!
Mexican Sweetpotato Fries
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/3 cup sweet corn
- 1/3 cup black beans
- 1/3 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 spring onion chopped
- 1/2 cup cheese grated (I use gouda)
- 1-3 T coconut oil
- 1 tsp curcuma
- 1 tsp bell pepper powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sriracha and lemon to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180°C)
- Cut your sweetpotato into desired shape - I prefer thin fries
- In a cast iron skillet heat the coconut oil and fry your sweetpotato until soft and crispy on high heat for about 5-7 minutes
- Give the fries to a bowl lined with kitchen paper and let it absorb the excess oil, add the curcuma and bell pepper powder and shake until the fries are covered with the spices
- Remove the excess oil from the pan and add the fries, sweet corn, black beans, onions and cheese to the pan. Season with salt and pepper
- Give the skillet to the oven and heat until the cheese is melted for about 7 minutes
- Drizzle with Sriracha and a dash of lemon
Sweetpotato on its own don't really get crispy. They will stay soft even when you fry them
Okay friends, that’s it for today. See you all back on Monday for some catching up.
Have a great weekend and tell me about your #weekendgoals!