It’s Sunday afternoon and I am sitting in my cozy kitchen nook and I try to stay away from food. Or pictures of food. Anything food actually. Which is a bummer because that pretty much cuts out any kinds of blog reading. I am snacking on a mug of clear vegetable broth and try to dellude myself into the feeling of satisfaction. But to be honest it’s a bit like punishment. I mean the broth is quite tasty but I’d much rather eat something real. Something you have to chew preferably!
Anyway this is not in the books for me for tonight and neither for tomorrow morning. I’ll need to be completely empty for my medical examination tomorrow so eating is off limits today. As part of my avoidance strategy I am adjourning myself to current happy place #1 where it pretty much looks like this at the moment. Plus a significant amount of snow outside, minus the cottage cheese.
I just quickly strolled through my Instagram feed and realized that if I don’t feel particularly masochistic later I shouldn’t open Instagram again tonight as well. Damn food obsession of mine…
Okay I am focused again. Also I am linking up with lovely Meg to talk about my last week. Let’s get down to business – list style!
Food & Health
- Monday started with a fun appointment at my gastroenterologist. It may sound like a contradiction but I love this man and my appointments are always good – since I am in good health again at least! This was part I of my yearly check-up. We went all in with drawing blood, peeing in a plastic cup – seriously some of the least graceful moments of my life – and getting smeared in cold and sticky gel for my ultrasound. We chatted a little and if everything looks fine tomorrow he wants to take me off immunosuppressors. That would be huge! Fingers crossed.
- I went to Crossfit twice last week. I am slowly building up again. It was good. Really good! I am looking forward to tackling Crossfit three times this week!
- My colleague Katharina and I are totally obsessed with the smoothie blender. I am particularly obsessed with spinach based smoothies.
- But my current favorit is this Carrot Cake Smoothie with Cream Cheese Frosting. Spinach free!
- My foodie highlight last week was Meg’s Broccoli Mac and Cheese. Holy shit!!! So much cheesy goodness!
Work & Play
- I haven’t been extremely social this week. I had a lot communication at work and felt like I needed to hibernate a little in my spare time. Hibernation is also quite fitting as Winter has finally hit my part of Germany and it’s officially hat and scarf weather.
- Sunday was really snowy then and I was glad it wasn’t a workday when I woke up to this
- Speaking of Work…. Work has been kind of eventful last week, especially compared to the week prior. I went to the office on three days. I spent Thursday on campus with various meetings. On Friday I worked from home.
- In the beginning of the week I planned and organised a pretty big networking event for February with about 60 people involved.
- On Thursday I met up with a few professors to discuss their involvement in this year’s program run. It’s always a good thing to meet the people in person. It’s much easier to discuss thier role, expectations and pick the best fitting mentees for them than when talking by phone.
- On Thursday afternoon my colleague and I gave a lecture on our profession and how you can become a professional in our field. I am not sure what I can say about my role in this lecture. I cracked so many jokes that it’s hard for me to see myself as a professional at all. I wonder what the students thought…. but at least they paid attention. You can’t ask for much more, can you?
- Now you may already wonder why I named this post ‘Travel Planning’. I am getting to this now. Most part of our weekend and various moments in between were consumed with planning our trip in summer. On Saturday we sat down to check all availabilities just to realise our prefered time and budget don’t really match a big part of our preferred route. After a few hours of going through different options we had finally mapped out a whole new travel route. Nerve wrecking!
- We both let it sink in and then on Sunday ended up booking flights for a stay three days longer than originally intended. Whoopa!
- We will start out in Denver and drive down to San Diego. On our way we plan to go hiking (I knooooow…..hiking and I…..) in a few National Parks and find Stefan a Bison somewhere. And if not we just have to go to the San Diego zoo. After a few days relaxing, eating and drinking in San Diego (I don’t even bother to pretend) we’ll fly to Chicago where we will explore the city, eat and drink again. We have a pattern! Then follows my favorite part of the trip when we visit Meg, the hubby and the little bun in Cleveland <3. Then when they kick us out again we’ll drive up to Toronto and spend a few days in Canada before heading back home after a full month of travel! I couldn’t be more excited!
I’ll spend the evening with some more broth, water and alcohol free beer on the couch. The hubby will be here too, hoping that I fall asleep early so that he can watch football. I think I’ll do him the favor!
Have a great start to the week