Another Monday, another workday. For me at least whereas everyone else in my building seems to be on holiday. There’s not a single car in the parking lot besides mine and there’s no light in any office window either. Luckily our assistant will come in today as well because to be honest it’s totally scary to be here all alone!
On the other hand being alone actually sounds so wonderful right now. I feel the post-Christmas blues strong this year. It’s not that I mind that Christmas is over but I need some time just for myself being anti-social now. Being with so many people for three days in a row is a little too much to just shrug it off. I try to decompress, unwind and get a grip on my facial expressions again – hello resting bitch face – but I know the way I work so I guess after a couple of hours for myself I will be good again.
I think I don’t reveal too much when I tell you that I handled the last week like a champ. Okay I had my moments but all in all I did really well. Being social while feeling completely anti-social is one of the biggest, most demanding things to me. And to be honest I usully suck completely at this. Embracing my introvert side nonetheless I am linking up with Meg and share my last week challenges!
- I can’t belive it’s only been a week ago but I finally had my presentation and it went very well. I have complained about the quality of presentations in my PhD calss for the whole semester now but most fittingly I was the third to present and the two presentation prior to mine were definitely the best so far. On the one hand I was glad to finally hear some interesting and profound lectures and on the other hand I had a grumpy cat moment when I realised I was to be compared to those two in the end of the day. But my professor gave me a rattling feedback and equally important I was happy as well. Now I just have to keep working on it and not get distracted again. Yeah, sounds reasonable but does it sound likely, too?
- After my presentation I went to my friend Sandra’s birthday party. She came back from NYC on her birthday morning and we met at a bar to celebrate a little.
- At work I ticked off all boxes of my pre-Christmas work to-do list including inviting all applicants I had selected to start the program in January. I took off early on Tuesday and had a relaxing afternoon and evening with Stefan being out.
- I worked on some behind the scenes blog stuff and also on Wednesday’s blog post featuring this Spicy Cashew Beef with Veggies in Brown Sauce
- On Wednesday all presents got wrapped but sadly it didn’t bring me the Christmas spirit either
- Before Christmas could officially start we had so much to do! I have the feeling we cleaned the apartment and especially the kitchen 500 times. We went grocery shopping and I prepared the guest room. We had an overnight guest aka Stefan’s cousin who doesn’t live in town. Luckily Stefan had started his Christmas leave on Wednesday already because all by myself I couldn’t have handled it!
- Our three days of Christmas were jam-packed with family gatherings. On Thursday we had friends over in the morning and then went for the grand family tour. I saw my father,’step-mum’ and my ‘step-sisters’ then had coffee at my aunt’s with my cousin and her boyfriends, then we met up at my mum’s and later I went to see my in-law family. For my sanity I made sure to squeeze in 5 minutes just for myself on my sofa in my almost dark living room with a Whiskey
- On Friday we had lunch at my cousin’s and left over 12 hours later. We had such a blast especially after everyone had gone home besides Stefan and I. The food was very very good. Food’s important for my family 😉
- We spent Saturday with my extended in-law family of 22 now. It was loud and warm and I was so tired! The weather was really nice and so we all went for a walk between coffee and dinner.
- Sunday I busied myself in the kitchen baking bread from scratch and filling it with potatos, sweet corn, tomatoes, onions and cheese. Cooking relaxes me. And when the product is something good as freshly baked bread I don’t complain either!
- Then I just hung out in the afternoon while Stefan was gone for soccer. I actually wanted to join them but for a few weeks now my leg troubles me and the hard ground and undamped shoes really don’t help. So I stayed at home. I actually couldn’t have minded less. I played around with my new camera lense. It’s different than the KIT lense I am used to but I see the two of us becoming fast friends. By the looks of this picture I should dust the Christmas balls maybe!
- In the evening my sister and her new boyfriend came over to our place and we played a Harry Potter DVD quiz. I took the opportunity to dress up with my HP scarf and glasses. No embarassing pictures I am afraid so! At 11 pm I kicked them out and went to bed.
So much for my last week. I am kinda glad it’s over but this week holds a few events for us as well. On Wednesday my best friend gets married and let’s not forget New Year’s Eve though I have no plans by now and to be honest I don’t really care about that day at all! What I do care about are our plans to finally finally clean out the kitchen next weekend. Fingers crossed this will happen, it’s on my list for almost two years now!
Have a good start to the week, hope you all had relaxing holidays!