Let’s talk breakfast habits.
Many many bloggers claim breakfast to be their favorite meal of the day. Mine it’s not. I am not the biggest eater in the morning. I am a coffee person. That’s what I crave, that’s what I need. Also I am enjoying savory food much more than sweet food but I can’t eat something savory right away in the morning.
In the past I’ve been going trough breakfast phases but I won’t go into detail about that today. I’ve discussed this in length here before. My current breakfast phase could be described best with ‘whatever no bake thing I have on hand and if none maybe there’s some cottage cheese or a banana somewhere in the fridge’! You see I can’t warm myself to the concept of breakfast at the moment.
So why this lengthy talk about my non breakfast habits when I am clearly going to post a breakfast recipe? I have a point I swear and I am going to tackle it now:
The point is the other person living in this apartment, the person I feed next to myself, better known as Stefan or the hubby. He likes breakfast and he is a sweet breakfast eater. Fact is he often complains about my breakfast foods not being sweet enough. I take this into account especially when I make something for him. Like this.
I’ve told you before (only yesterday when I think about it) that I express my feelings with food. And as he is the person I feel most passionately about on this planet it might not be too much of a surprise that it is my heart desire to stuff this man like a Christmas goose.
So to make sure he starts his day well fed and with some decent nutrients I came up with this bake that is easy to prep and combines a few of his favorites. Make this bake on a Sunday evening and you’re set for the entire week. No fuss in the morning just devour a piece of it directly from the fridge or even heated up a little in the microwave. It’s also great to pack and take to work when you like to eat your first meal a little later like my Christmas goose does!
Brown Rice and Cherry Breakfast Bake
- 1 cup brown rice dry
- 2 cups milk of choice - I made this with almond milk cashew milk and macadamia nut milk
- 2 cups of cherries
- 1 cup greek yoghurt
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup maple syrup depending on how sweet you like your breakfast
- 2 T cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 4 medium eggs
- In a medium cooking pot, combine the rice and milk and bring to boil, decrease the temperature to low and let simmer until the rice is fully cooked. Stir occasionally. The rice will be pretty pappy in the end.
- In the meantime combine the greek yoghurt, apple sauce, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt and eggs in a large mixing bowl and whisk together until everything is well combined
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking pan or casserole dish with baking parchment - I use a 10 x 8 inch brownie pan
- Once the rice is cooked, add the rice pap to the mixing bowl and stir again until everything is well combined
- Pour the mixture to the pan and garnish with the cherries
- Bake in the oven for 30 - 40 minutes depending on your oven. The bake is done when everything has firmed up completely. When you carefully poke the bake it should be still soft yet not wobbly anymore
- Cut in pieces and serve warm or cold
I don't like my food overly sweet so my favorite version is the one with 1/4 cup maple syrup whereas Stefan has a much bigger sweet tooth and prefers the version with 1/2 cup maple syrup
Okay guys it’s Friday and I am soooooo glad the week is over! Last weekend and also the week were so horribly busy and I expect this weekend to be much more relaxing.
Are you a breakfast fan?
Nice! I love that you’ve used brown rice instead of oats. Sometimes I get a little tired of my oat bakes and love using something with more chew. And cherries – yum!!
That’s exactly why I decided to use rice. To give it a little chew. And cherries are one of my husbands favorites 🙂
I’m totally with you…coffee first, and then food hours later, generally savory, especially on weekends. That being said, you are a good wife. Stefan should be quite pleased with the Double Chocolate Coconut Granola too. It’s another sweet breakfast option for him.
Oh yes the granola! It’s amazing. And you should have seen Stefan. You would have loved how posessive he got when he caught me with my fingers in the jar with ‘his granola’!!!!!