It’s save to say that my world and especially my day to day life has been thrown upside down within the last couple of months. For a long time I have resented it. It made me feel not in control. I felt like I had to sacrifice way too much. And from an objective point of view I really do sacrifice a lot at the moment.
I sacrifice time with my friends and family. My camera gathers dust and if I do indulge in playing with it for maybe 10 minutes I feel guilty. I don’t manage to work out regularly and I don’t cook at all. Even though I would love to. And let me not even start with how much I have neglected this blog.
But on the other hand I know that in a few weeks time this will all be over and I am getting my life back. And I plan on tackling it full force. Now that I said it here publicly, it has to happen, right?
The positive thing is though that I have somehow grown a little fond of my current lifestyle as well. Not so much that I want it to last longer than necessary but definitely enough to see the funny side of it as well. I guess there is not more I can ask for.
So today I thought I make a small step and test how life will taste on the other side of my dooming deadline and throw in a cheeky post where I confess a few of the funny things about my life as an unintentional workaholic. By the way I totally stole this whole confession idea from my buddy Meg.
Let’s get this party started…
1. Most days I roll out of bed, brew me some coffee and stay in my pajamas until… well until I shower the next time
2. My hair lacks of a decent cut and color. And right now I don’t remember when I washed it the last time. Dry shampoo has become my most relevant beauty product!
3. Sometimes I don’t leave the appartment for a few days. My personal record has been three days. And I wasn’t even sick
4. I feel like it’s okay to go without vacuuming the appartment for a good two weeks
5. I have inherited this super annoying habit where I cannot talk about anything but my thesis. It consumes not only most of my time but also almost all my brain
6. Monday before going to Italy I opened a bottle of wine. It took me until Saturday to finish it off
7. Doing laundry is not really happening as well. It’s a good thing I exclusively live in my pajamas and sweatpant shorts these days
8. Today I had half a bag of snack pretzels for lunch. And it wasn’t the first time either
9. When I have to go into work I get a bit offended that the etiquette demands that I make myself a bit presentable at least
10. I started ordering necessities from the internet because I don’t make it to the shops anymore. Think of birthday gifts, books and even underware. After most of my underware was in that kind of a questionable condition where you pray that you’re not involved in an accident and have to go to the hospital it kinda had to happen
11. Everytime the doorbell rings I quickly check my apprearance and then open the door anyway because it’s most probably the postman bringing one of my parcels
12. I bet by now he believes I am an unemployed slacker indulging in retail therapy. Little does he know that I still have a job… at least for the next couple of weeks…
13. Most days I do a really good job focusing on my thesis but some days I am on my second nap before the clock strikes noon
14. I have made plans with three different people in the next three weeks. None of them knows that I have secretly already decided to cancel them all
15. I am not going to cancel my wine and whine date with my friend tomorrow though. We’re sitting in the same boat right now and I am looking forward to shamelessly complain without having to feel guilty for being too negative!
16. I cannot speak like a normal person anymore. Not that this has ever been one of my strenghts. But it’s reached a new high now. When I open my mouth I either produce a lot of word vomit or sound like an excerpt from a scientific article. There is no in between.
17. That might be one of the reasons why I annoy everyone right now
18. Maybe it’s also my haunted and unfocused expression I react with every time someone calles my name out loud. It happens a lot lately because I usually miss to respond the first two times being deep in thoughts about random stuff like citation or the look of my graphs.
19. I have a private pinterest board where I pin everything I want to do once this is all done. My current means of procrastination and motivation
20. Even though I am going thorough a demanding time – and I had never imagined it would take so much of me – when I think of the future I cannot help but smile!