In the past couple of months I have been in full-blown getting shit done mode! My main aim was to function and to tick off my to-do list. I have cut back on everything else in my life. I only check in here once a week anymore. My camera gathers dust. I am a shit friend. I never get in touch with anyone anymore, I cancel plans and when I show up I am not really present.
Lately I though a lot about the doing things vs getting things done approach. And though I know this approach usually targets a more goal oriented and effective way of working it totally applies to what I need in my life right now. With a twist.
I am so over seeing everything in my life as a task I have to get done. It’s not enjoyable. Life shouldn’t be just a to-do list. There is more to life than just getting things done. But we are all grown adults and as much as I wish that wouldn’t entail a whole bunch of responsabilities there are things that have to happen. Sadly that’s not negotiable.
So at the moment I do the second best thing I can do. My ultimate best thing is to fantasize about various exit strategies. I still get to quit things. As I try to get rid of the ‘getting things done mentality’ in favor of a ‘doing things’ approach. Finally I feel like I can breath again.
So instead of focusing on the end result I decided to enjoy the process a bit more. Slowing down and being happy with the little things. Everything I am doing, I chose to do at some point after all. So there should be happy and enjoyable moments in everything I do. So this week I am on a mission to completely dismiss showing you what I got done I favor of what I did.
Psssst I share a secret with you. It’s still the same things because it’s all in my brain….the place where happiness comes from!
- I went on a couple of coffee shop work dates and these were my best and most peaceful moments last week. I finally finished trying all their muffins and most surprisingly the one I like best is their Walnut Muffin. Usually I am not that much into walnuts.
- Going to Crossfit has become so vital to my well-being over the last few months. I was very happy that I went there three times last week. My Tuesday and Thursday morning classes are non-negotiable now and I squeezed in another class on Friday evening. It makes me happy and I love hanging out with people I don’t have to talk much about work with.
- Stefan and I spent a lot of time last week and I loved it. He cooked for me on multiple occasions and we just hung out together and talked until I fell asleep on the couch before 10 pm on several evenings.
- We also visited my aunt for coffee and cake (my birthday present from her). People my aunt is the best baker in the world. And her apple cinnamon cake with rum raisins is to die for! Top it with a dollop of whipped cream and you are ready to die and wake up in foodie heaven.
- On Saturday (not a good idea) we went to IKEA and bought a few things for the new bathrooms. We also spent a lot of time cleaning again last week. Strangely I really enjoy it. Maybe it’s one of these ‘declutter your life in order to get rid of the chaos in your brain’ thing.
- Thesis work was fun because I am making good progress. Less than 6 months to go now. It’s still a long way.
- Our mint plant sparked the idea of having Mojitos on Saturday. So I took advantage and spent 20 min with my camera. I also forced Stefan to play hand model again. That made me really happy. Maybe it was also the Mojito, you never know…
I am linking up with Meg today. Actually she and this link up are the only reasons I haven’t quit blogging altogether by now. Also I want to mention that this post was somehow inspired by Cora. It was either one of her posts or one of her comments that sparked that inner discussion I had with myself. I am sorry that I forgot but I have Swiss-cheese-brain for non-thesis related things.
So the things I would like to do today include but are not limited to giving the car a vacuum, writing a few pages of the chapter I am currently working on and eating potatos with eggs.