Look at this guys, it’s a recipe post! Today I am stepping up my blogging game with this awesome Crispy Falafel Recipe. Is there any better way to break a three and a half month hiatus from posting recipes than bringing you something delicious as falafel? Well I don’t think so either.
Let’s talk New Year’s resolutions, healthy living and salads for a bit. A quick google search told me this morning that by February 80% of resolutions made by January 1st have already failed. From my personal experience from past years’ life-changing endeavours I can confidently say that 100% of my resolutions tend to fail by February latest. Look at me, already overachieving again…
But if you have read any healthy living blogs at the beginning of January, you for sure already know why resolutions don’t really make sense. So I am not going to hash and rehash here now. While I am not the biggest fan of resolutions – for obvious reasons – I usually do naturally crave a lighter diet after the cookie and eggnog heavy December. Maybe that’s just my body telling me to get some nutrients in asap.
While at this time last year I have been on a huge smoothie kick this year I seem to prefer to consume my fresh food by whipping up giant salad bowls. Well that was unexpected. I think this change is mainly due to me enjoying savory foods over sweet foods in general. But I think another huge impact factor is the endless possibilities of toppings.
I have always topped my salads with the ususal stuff like olives, artichokes, leftover sweetpotato, beans any kind of meat and eggs. But I also always loved to add giant dollops of guacamole and hummus. I am no stranger to add any kind of chickpeas and also falafel to my salads but this crispy falafel recipe takes the topping game to the next level. It’s hands down the easiest, quickest and best I have ever made.
This crispy falafel recipe is vegan and if you use a gluten-free flour can easily made gluten-free. You can make the base in under 10 minutes as all you need is to throw all the ingredients in a blender or mixer and just mix until smooth. Add another 5 min for frying and you’re set with a delicious topping for your salads, for falafel sandwiches or even to enjoy on its own.
The falafel are crispy on the outside, smooth, tender or even creamy on the inside and have a spicy touch without being too overpowering. This tahini salad dressing is THE PERFECT dressing and compliments the crispy falafel very nicely. If you decrease the amount of water in the recipe you get a fabulous spicy tahini dip.
Go make this Crispy Falafel Recipe and step up your salad game even after all New Year’s Resolutions have failed.
Healthy Crispy Vegan Falafel Recipe
- 1 can chickpeas - rinsed
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- a dash of pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 T parsley chopped
- ~ 1/2 cup olive oil for frying
- Give the chickpeas to a large mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice and blend or mix with a hand held blender until roughly chopped to smooth - whatever consistency you desire.
- Add the salt, pepper and cumin and stir in with a fork.
- Now add the flour and water and keep stirring until everything is well combined
- Add the parsley and stir again. The dough should be smooth and firm. If it's too sticky add a little flour, if it's too crumbly add a little water.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan (a skillet pan works really well)
- Form about 12 falafel balls and place it in the pan.
- Fry for about 5 minutes while making sure to flip them about every consistantly so that they get crispy from every side.
- Remove the excess fat with a paper towel and enjoy hot
They store well in the fridge for at least two days and can be easily reheated in a pan. You won't even need more oil for that