This is the week I decided to do something for my (mental) health and join Meg on her liquid cleanse…
Friends the last week wasn’t as easy-breezy as the weeks before BUT I somehow managed to keep my happy feelings and positive attitude. I don’t know myself anymore….
Jokes aside. We all know that just because a randomly set calendar turns from December to January, from 2016 to 2017 not everything will magically change. But I believe in the power of wishful thinking. Self-delusion as I like to call it in my more cynical moments.
And as I am pig-headed and have set my mind on being a lot happier this year I am kinda willing to force myself into it. I know there is an insignificantly more elaborate psychological term for that method which I can’t remember right now. One that’s probably a bit more positive and less cynical but who cares anyway as long as it works. And so far it works.
So let’s pass on the coffee today in favor of a chilled glass of wine (or your alcoholic beverage of choice) and chat a bit about last week. Let’s start with the obvious…
- I think I had wine pretty much every day of last week. In fact I am just right now sitting on my couch typing up this posts sipping on a glass of white wine. I take full advantage of the -14°C (~6°F) outside on my balcony. The wine is perfectly chilled at all times. I like my wine ice cold and yes I know it’s ruining the flavors. But I like it that way! It’s Sunday afternoon 5 pm by the way. Not that you jump to any conclusions of my drinking alone in my home on a Monday morning.
- I feel like I try to make up for being so inconsistent with blogging by posting a lot more on Instagram lately. Sharing stuff is something I thoroughly enjoy and since I can’t dedicate as much time to my blog as I wish, Instagram must fill the gap. I do enjoy that too but getting up a proper blog post additionally to my Monday posts is my goal for the near future. Not sure if I manage it next week but the week after for sure… okay I’ll try…probably.
- I started eating a bit better last week. I just generally try to up my veggie intake a bit and so far it works really well. The downside is that I really have to have an eye on how much I eat. I tend to end up with way too little calories compared to what I need when I try to eat ‘healthy’. I have trouble with finding a middleground – story of my life! The good thing is that this is my chance to spoon a lot of nutbutter. It could be worse.
- This is especially important right now as I started to go to Crossfit again last week… whoot whoot. I went on Tuesday and again with my friend and Crossfit buddy on Friday. We are both completely out of shape and suffering and sucking at it together is just way better. Needless to say that I was sore all week.
- Work was okay-ish. I felt a bit off and was pretty tired and had headaches all week. I didn’t make a good progress on my thesis and I have trouble with that. Though I KNOW not every day is productive. And I KNOW there will be days with exceptionally great progress and days with no progress at all. But I have a really hard time coping with the subpar days.
- I spent time with my mum over a cup of tea and my supposed 10 min stay turned into a 2,5 hour chat. It was nice to catch up for the first time after Christmas.
- It was my niece’s 4th birthday on Saturday and we spent the afternoon with the family.
- Stefan made us Satay Chicken again. I asked for it. I am freaking in love with this stuff. Peanut sauce is so addictive. We eat it over rice or with tomato-cucumber-onion salad. Both is amazing and I am already salivating when I think of diggin in the leftovers later. We traditionally have Moscow Mule with it. My favorite drink of all times. I ALWAYS get fancy with my mules and add fresh lemon, fresh ginger and fresh basil when I have it at hand. It makes all the difference!
- I took the whole Sunday to just veg out. We spent the morning on the couch watching Netflix and Stefan went to watch our niece in the afternoon and I extended the couch time to a maximum. I was indulging in watching youtube, reading blogs and researching a few completely non-work related things and it just felt great to have time to myself. I try hard to enjoy me time on the weekend guilt-free and it works about 80% of the time.
- Packing lunch has not been my forte last week. So I had to buy a few meals at the grocery store. I learned the hard way that I should work on this. On Friday I accidentally ended up with tomato vanilla soup. Seriously, who does that? It was disgusting and I went lunch-less. A smoothie had to make up for the lack of lunch but it was neither satisfying nor what I needed. I am better this week though. Look at my pretty tupperware lunch salad.
So game plan for the new week: Finishing the next chapter! I know another thing that falls in the category of self-delusion BUT I’ll do my best to come as close to this goal as possible. Eating as well as last week but a bit more maybe and going again to Crossfit twice. Also I’ll have a few work meetings and I am going to be a social butterfly next weekend. I can hardly control my excitement!
Have a good week guys!