It’s only two work weeks until Christmas and I am not near any Christmas spirit. We have a tree now, we have Christmas lights, we had mulled wine and Christmas cookies and it’s cold enough outside to feel it. But I feel like a hamster in a wheel instead. Luckily the quiet season at work starts now and I have tons of time and even more importantly I can plan my days according to my needs and not to somebody else’s schedule. Mini freedom.
But last week was… weird.
I was emotional. I cried a few times. Not because I was angry – my usual trigger – but because I was … something else. I don’t even know. I wasn’t sad. Just emotional. I cried over the most random things. Like a sunset. I feel like I am going insane. It’s high time for less stress.
So let’s just try and change perspective and look at the plus side from last week and not the minus side. I tell that my clients all the time – so for today I will try to do what I suggest with my fellow list maker Meg. After all she inspired me to tell my clients to do so.
On the plus side last week…
- My home office days weren’t particularly efficient. Stefan was sick and that kept me from working the way I wanted to. But I had two absolutely productive days in the office. Including 2 group coachings, a talk I attended, catching up on all my admin work and writing 3 pages. When I left the office at 6 pm on Friday I was very pleased with my progress.
- I finished my online Christmas shopping.
- We put up the Advent calendars – six days delayed. But who counts…
- I also drank an average of 4 cups of coffee and sometimes even 5 a day. My consumption increases again.
- Because youtube continuously spoilered me on Gilmore Girls I got a free Netflix one-month trial subscription. Let’s say I make good use of it.
- By Tuesday we had finished Gilmore Girls. I am not going to spoiler anyone who hasn’t watched it yet but I’ll tell you my thoughts. I liked Winter. Spring was okay. Summer was not. And I hated the end. In my eyes it didn’t live up to the series.
- I cooked real food. I mean I cook real food all the time but I made a falafel sandwich for what I did not only make falafel dough and fried the falafel but I also made a tzatziki sauce to go with it. It’s been a while.
- I also watched the whole first season of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.
- And Tales by Light – a documentation series of different travel photographers. That one made me cry. I said had a weird week.
- I posted a What I ate Wednesday post. For the first time in over one and a half years. But I needed to make it to 100. I blame my OCD tendencies.
- I moped a lot and felt sorry for myself for no particular reason. Maybe the absence of light here at the moment kinda tears me down. It for sure has an impact. Because apart from the stress I am doing well. I am happy and I am looking forward to the post thesis time. I am excited for something new. There is no reason to mope and feel sorry for myself at all.
- I took advantage of taking a bag of Chili con Carne out of the freezer and re-shot the recipe. Sadly it was a bit dark outside but I miss time with my camera so much.
- I got a manicure – my traditional red and sparkly Christmas color.
- After 6 months I finally got a haircut. It was so damn necessary. I looked like an exploded toothbrush.
- My aunt, my cousin and her boyfriend and I went to get our Christmas trees together. We went to a farm in our area where you get your tree for super cheap but you have to cut it down by yourself. I didn’t cut my tree but I cut my forearms instead. So my cousin’s boyfriend cut it down for me. Bless him.
- Since then we have been stabbed by the trees needles multiple times. It’s really sharp. So I named it Miranda. Because she’s the devil!
- I spent the whole Sunday in my pjs on the couch. I needed some time to myself to get rid of the weirdness in me. Not sure if I succeeded. We’ll see this week.
- I made plans to have a spa day with my friend next week. We need to catch up and we both desperately need to relax.
- I made it through the weekend without checking my work emails – that’s a huge thing for me lately.
Game plan for the day: Getting dresses, finishing my coffee, making a mess with my paperwork on the dining table and writing. Not the worst plans. I’ll probably have a work call later but that’s just a catch up with my colleague. Mini freedom. I take what I can.