Last week I talked about the creative process behind recipe development and I definitely forgot to add one of the things of things that inspire me to create new recipes: dreaming!
Maybe I can also put dreaming under the category of cravings but that would definitely be less fun, right? So a couple of weeks back I woke up and had the strongest craving for a bagel with egg, bacon and cheese.
I dream a lot or better I remember my dreams very often and guys I can assure you that I dream up so much random shit, you really don’t want to be in my brain at night. Or day by the way.
From this dream I don’t remember much but that it took place in some kind of stereotypical American Diner. What I vividly remember is the giant bagel I ate there loaded with all kinds of good stuff. When I woke up I was ravenous and salivating from the image in my head of this beauty! Well that’s what I call a foodie’s equivalent of a wet dream.
Luckily for me I dreamt this bagel dream the night from Friday to Saturday with Saturday being THE day we do most of our grocery shopping. Needless to say bagels made it on the top of our shopping list.
When we came back home we quickly unpacked all the shopping bags and I started to make breakfast. Okay it was more of a brunch but anywaaaays…
Next to the inevitable cheese, fried egg and bacon I also needed to add what I call a ‘moist maker’ in form of tomato and baby spinach which made the sandwich even more amazing. And now please tell me you got this epic reference!
Another cool thing happened after faceplanting this beauty – I was filled up for hours and hours! Seriously I had an Oreo Granola Bar in the afternoon (cravings not hunger) and the next real meal was dinner. This bagel just hit the spot and gave me all I needed for the rest of the day.
If you have a distinct craving for bagels, love the combination of cheese, eggs and bacon or are just in need of a new delicious breakfast idea you should definitely make this easy Egg & Bacon Breakfast Bagel Recipe.
If all of the above reasons apply to you you should definitely make this Egg & Bacon Breakfast Bagel Recipe and we should also become best friends. I have a feeling we will get along great 😉
- 1 bagel
- 3-5 strips bacon
- 1 large slice of cheese (I use gouda)
- 1 large egg
- 1 medium tomato (I love cour de boeuf because of it's meaty flesh)
- 1 small handful of baby spinach
- 1 T BBQ sauce
- crema di balsamico
- In a large frying pan fry the bacon and the egg until you reach the desired level of doneness
- Slice and toast the bagel in your toaster
- Now start loading your bagel
- Smear the bottom side with BBQ sauce, add in the following order cheese, tomato, drizzle with crema di balsamico, add the spinach, bacon and egg and top with the other half of the bagel
- In order to get the perfect creamy melted cheese taste and texture I melt my sliced cheese in the microwave and transfer it on the bagel with a knife or even spoon
- I also cut my bagel into halves in order to make it easier to eat - just make sure you use a very sharp knife
Now that I have written myself hungry and also because it’s pretty close to lunch time by now I will make me some eggs. Sadly all the bagels are long gone and I am definitely too lazy to go change into decent pants and go to the shops now. I may pick up some bagels when I go grocery shopping later this afternoon.
Also big thanks for literally giving me a hand (or two) with taking these pictures to my egg and bacon loving husband. I am madly impressed because he can faceplant this beauty in under two minutes! He also preferes to swap the veggies for sausages – how very German!
What do you load your bagels with?