Yes, so this is it. My very first own place.
As we speak we’re still sitting between tons of unpacked boxes and the new place is not entirely furnished yet either. So over the course of the next few weeks I’ll still be busy unpacking my stuff and settling in but for now it’s set up enough to move in already and live here now.
It feels good. I feel so adult. For now I keep it clean like this but I guess I’ll hang up some pictures here and there or get me curtains (aka a header) eventually. Though not the frilly sort for sure.
You may have noticed that I have been off for a week now. I have been off the blog – off any blog actually – I have been off social media, off Instagram and Facebook and I have also been a bad friend not replying to most messages I got this last week. I did not plan this. It just happened.
But now it’s Monday again and I have a steaming hot mug of coffee in my hands and so it’s the perfect time for coming back today, linking up with Meg and telling you what happened over here while I was unplugged.
- Last week was not easy. Truth is I was just comletely feeling under the weather. I have a cold again or maybe it never really disappeared and I felt feeverish and just totally weak. I was tired and grumpy. I was coughing and had a sore throat. I was just not a nice person to be around
- The thing is that I most probably need a solid three days at home nursing my various symptoms but it’s about the busiest time at work right now and I just can’t
Let’s talk work…
- Work and I had a bitchfight last week
- I am still interviewing which I really enjoy. It’s one of my favorite things but it’s also pretty exhausting. You have to remember details, be empathetic, concentrate and the not so nice part, tell the same things in each and any interview again and again
- We had two workshops on two evenings last week. On Tuesday I came home after 10 pm. On Thursday I was lucky and came home shortly after 9 pm
- But the thing that really really wears me out is the office situation. At the moment there are just so many people there and when I am in the office I am prepared to get none of my work done. I mean zero. People approach me every 30 seconds. Ask my stuff, want my help, come in and ask my colleage, pester me with the same questions again and again though I’ll keep giving the exact same answers. I have asked for some quiet, I started being snappy, I even tried to use headphones but nothing really helps. Okay rant over – this was entirely what I wanted to avoid last week. Spreading my chagrin….
- On finishing the work stuff on a positive note let’s talk about my thesis: Last Wednesday I woke up and for the first time in over 8 month I felt good about my thesis! Good and as if I could really do it!
- And as a plus I spent a very productive 10 h workday at Starbucks on Friday. I worked mostly on thesis stuff and despite the bustling coffee shop atmosphere I had my peace and quiet and finally got shit done! The only tiny downside was my hurting ass. Those chairs are just not built for a 10 h coffee break!
Let’s talk about the move…
- I know it has been most probably the worst week of this year to kick it off but I guess I just needed to spend time on something I want rather than must do
- Okay so on Monday I came home from work pretty early around 4 pm and without any further ado registered with a hosting service and started to set up a website
- I am usually not reluctant to spend my hard-earned money but I have to admit that it hurt a little to type in my credit card information for the hosting fees and the theme
- I am not lying here. It was hard! I didn’t understand how stuff worked, what a cpanel is and for what I need it and I was regretting it after about 3 minutes
- I cried a little, cursed a lot, drank some wine, ate a cheese sandwich to sober up again and then finally managed to install wordpress – thank God it was easier from that moment on!
- I exported all content from the old site, imported everything on the new site and started to set up and change the theme
- I installed plugins and widgets (after learning what a plugin is and that I need one for everything the old site had automatically built in)
- I found reoccuring errors, googled the source of the problem for hours, uninstalled all plugins and set most of my set-ups to default with no result. Eventually I opened a ticket with the hosting support and it was solved within a two hour window
- Now I am in the process of going through each and every of my 450 posts and check backlinks, pictures, comments and layout. It takes so much time it’s insane! Yet I am thrilled and totally happy with what happens here. I am not at all done with all my tasks and I still feel the look of the site to be a bit too generic but I feel homey here
- So all in all pretty much all my time last week was devided between work work and working on this place.
All the rest…
- Most probably I fed myself and also didn’t fall short of basic hygene standards but to be honest I have no real memory of anything and zero pictures to light my clouded brain
- On Friday evening we met with friends at this pizza place we go sometimes and later we went to a birthday celebration of an old friend of ours. He’s an attorny and besides us 4 and one other old friend there were only other attorneys and back office staff from his law office. It was a bit strange but we had so much fun nonetheless! Of course I mean the 4 of us. Those law people were weird!
- On Saturday I started to bake German Gingerbread. It’s my aunt’s recipe and it’s my favorite hands down. It takes two days to make those lovelies and I can’t get enough of them. My aunt makes the best Christmas cookies ever. No competition here!
- In the evening Stefan cooked for me! Steak and homemade fries. It was every bit as good as it looks!
- On Sunday I proceeded with the gingerbread making, aka baked the 5 trays and chocolate covered them. I also stocked up on nutbutter and made 4 portions Pesto Gnocchi Salad
- In the afternoon we went to my in-law’s place to celebrate my mother-in-law’s birthday. It was loud with the 5 kids and we came home after 10 pm. I was bushed but it was good to catch-up with the family
- We watched two seasons of Episodes over the course of the last week. It might sond like a lot but it’s a comedy and every season has only 8 episodes. Seriously this is one of the funniest series I’ve ever watched. Brit cliché humor meets American cliché humor. I almost wet my pants! And I am just very much drawn to the British accent in general. Blimey! Also laughing eases tention! So this was basically soul maintanance!
So here we are. Another week anothe shot. It’s Monday morning and despite feeling not fresh and motivated after the weekend I know that I have four better days lying in front of me, followed by one home office day and then New York is waiting for me. I guess I can survive. Oh and in exactly one week I am going to be in Cleveland and that just doesn’t fail to make me smile
Shall this week pass quickly!