I personally divide the world in two sorts of people: kindred spirits and people I don’t get! Okay maybe I should have mentioned that I am talking about food.
Let me explain. When it comes to food I personally divide the world into those people who are hungry to experience food and don’t get bored to talk about the beauty of a certain food or dish for 10 minutes and people who just eat anything and that’s it.
We all have those friends and co-workers who eye your lunch and ask what it is and want to have a bite or two and then let you explain how you cooked the dish, ask about ingredients and you see this certain kind of sparkling in their eyes when they eat something delicious. In my experience this is like 5 % of people when you’re lucky.
Because then there are those other people who eye your lunch maybe a bit suspiciously and ask what it is. And when you start to explain they look at you with a blank face especially when you mention ‘exotic’ ingredients like coconut flour, brown rice syrup or even almond butter. Yes, that’s Germany! If you’re not a vegan, body builder or foodie you most probably never heard of almond butter.
Sometimes I find it particularly difficult to cook for those not like-minded people when you have them over for dinner. Or I always rack my brain when I have to bring something to a BBQ or party not only like 5 % of people would even try.
So I am totally happy to have this recipe as a go-to when I have to cook for ‘difficult people’ or just crave a really quick and easy dinner that is full of fresh food, dense in nutrition and flavor and just overall satisfying thanks to the healthy fats and carbs.
Healthy Pesto Gnocchi Salad
- 800 g gnocchi
- 4 T pesto alla Genovese
- 2 handful of rocket roughly chopped
- 1 cup dried tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh mixed tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 cup pine seed
- 2 large balls buffalo mozzarella 250 g
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F and bake the gnocchi on a baking tray lined with baking paper for 10 minutes
- In a small frying pan roast the pine seed on medium heat until slightly brown, remove from the warm pan and set aside
- In the meantime, chop the rocket and fresh and dried tomatoes into the desired size
- Pull the mozzarella into pieces the size of walnuts - I wouldn't recommend to chop it. It's a crime to its wonderfully melting texture
- Once the gnocchi are soft, give them to a big bowl and add the pesto. Stir until the gnocchi are all covered in pesto
- Now add all other ingredients and stir again well until everything is combined
- Season with salt and pepper
This is one of the dishes that get pretty ugly but even better the next day. Make enough for leftovers! You won't regret it!
The salad can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to three days
Guys, this is the quickest and easiest recipe when you want to make something nice for dinner guests or want to bring something fancy looking, yet easy-peasy to make for a party, BBQ or whatever gathering you have to attend.
If you’re looking for a quick work-week dinner for you and your significant other with the potential for lunch leftovers, you can stop looking for it now. I’ll have you sorted! This Healthy Pesto Gnocchi Salad takes only 18 minutes to whip up. I swear it!
And I can prove it! Because I measured the time it took me to make this dish.
Okay I lied to you guys. Because you can make it UNDER 18 minutes 😉
Do you like the gnocchi pesto combo? I certainly think it’s better than pesto with pasta!
What are you cooking for non-foodie friends?