Today I have a special goodie for you guys. I really really really don’t know why it took me so long to share this recipe. It actually never really occurred to me until the last weekend when I spent the day in the kitchen meal prepping and suddenly had the best of light and spontaneously decided to treat my lunch to a little photo shoot.
The Satay Chicken is one of those dishes we do not have on a very regular basis but at least every few months for years now. I guess it’s save to say I made this chicken dish at least 20 times. This dish is a perfect go-to on a weeknight when you come home and just don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen but still crave something fancy.
The best thing about it? As fancy-schmancy it might be in looks and taste it certainly is not in preparation time. It takes only 20 minutes to cook but the complexity of the different tastes and textures makes it appear quite elaborate. It’s one of Stefan’s favorites and I swear the guy has taste. At least besides his questionable taste in women but that’s a whole different story.
So but back to my line of argumentation. It’s a quick and easy fix when you crave a bowl full of comforting deliciousness but still want to get some good nutrients in. It’s jam-packed with good fats and protein and the combination of garlic and ginger makes it a killer meal to boost your health. Okay maybe not on its own but baby steps, people, baby steps…..
This recipe also comes with a vegan option. Just swap the chicken for more veggies and voila, here you go completely vegan friendly. You’ll find some veggie suggestions in the notes.
Creamy Satay Chicken with Mie Noodles
- 400 g Mie Noodles I used an egg-free brand
- 500 g chicken breast cut in pieces (can sub for more veggie for vegan alternative)
- 250 g snap peas
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 T ginger paste or chopped ginger
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1 cup creamy coconut milk
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 lime cut in halves
- peanuts to garnish
- In a large cooking pot cook the mie noodles as described on the package
- In a pan roast the onions and garlic in coconut oil until lightly sautéed
- Add the chicken and stir fry on medium heat until lightly brown
- Add the peanut butter, ginger paste, coconut cream and soy sauce and stir until everything is well incorporated
- Now add the snap peas and let simmer on low heat for 5 minutes
- Give the mie noodles to the pan and stir until they are all covered in sauce
- Arrange on a plate or in a bowl and garnish with peanuts
- At last squeeze some lime juice over the dish directly before serving
Don't forget to drizzle some lime juice over the noodles - it's a game changer!
If you're not into chicken or even want to make this a vegan dish I would recommend to sub the chicken for bell pepper, zucchini or broccoli or a combination of two or even all three and use egg-free Mie Noodles
Sadly my real job is calling my name now. I’ve a super long to do list and I intend to finish it off by today. A girl can dream…..
Oh and happy hump day 😉