It’s over a week now that we’re back from our wonderful summer vacation. I already miss it. I miss the time off, I miss to be with Stefan 24/7, I miss to go on some adventures and I miss all the glorious foods you can get in the States in every supermarket but not here.
Sour Patch Watermelon, Peanut Butter M&Ms, Chocolate with Bacon, Blue Diamond Habanero Nuts, Almond Breeze with a hint of Honey and Cinnamon Swirl Bread.
Whilst I cannot do anything to get the former ones I can roll up my sleeves, get the kitchen and myself messy and make my own Cinnamon Swirl Breakfast Bread.
This Cinnamon Swirl Breakfast Bread is a sweet alternative to my usual oatmeal, tit bake or bars. But to be honest the bread only survived one morning. Then I had it for lunch and several snacks in between. Stefan also ate 4 slices as a dessert after dinner. Yes, it’s that good.
Healthy Cinnamon Swirl Breakfast Bread
- 20 g fresh yeast
- 1 cup milk I used Cashew Milk
- 4 cups spelt flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3 T coconut butter
- 3 T coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup spelt flour to dust the countertop
- 1 egg yolk to coat the bread
- Heat the oven to 50° C (120° F)
- Dissolve the yeast in the milk and put in the oven for 10 min
- Give all the dry ingredients in a bowl and add the yeast-milk mixture
- With a fork stir through the ingredients until you have a sticky dough
- Now cover the bowl with a clean dish towel and put in the oven for another 10 min
- Give all the ingredients for the filling in a small bowl and mix everything well together. This works best with a fork
- Take the dough from the oven and add a little flour and knead the dough with the ball of your hand until you have a smooth dough ball
- Divide the dough in three equal part and put two parts aside. Roll your piece of dough onto a flat, floured surface until it's about 40 x 20 cm. It should still be about 1/2 cm thick. Make sure it doesn't stick to the surface
- Now take 1/3 of the filling and cover the dough with it
- Now roll up the long side of the dough so that you have a long thick dough roll. Repeat with the other two parts.
- Now braid the three pieces together and place in a loaf pan lined with baking parchment
- Coat the braided bread with the egg yolk
- Place the bread on a baking rack and bake in the over for about 20 minutes at 180º C
You can store it in an airtight container for 4-5 days
Serve with Cream Cheese Spread. Just mix together some full fat cream cheese, cinnamon and maple syrup. It's divine!
Don't be afraid of yeast! There are only two rules: Keep it warm but not too warm (50°C at the highest until you bake it) and treat in kindly - aka careful but vigorously kneading is a must. Be brave! You can all do this! I promise!
At the moment travelling is my number 1 priority in my life. I do love to explore new places and discover the world I also love to go back and revisit places I’ve been to before. I love how tightly bound those experiences are with specific scents or tastes. It’s less than 7 weeks that I am going to fly back to NYC for the second time in 1 and 1/2 years and I couldn’t be more excited. I guess going there in the winter will be a total different experience.
After this trip I know for sure that I won’t have much opportunity to travel far for some time. Life and also the budget won’t let us.
Biting in a piece of flavorful Cinnamon Swirl Bread definitely brings me back to my favorite places. Especially when it’s slightly warmed up and smeared with Cream Cheese Spread!