Before we dive into today’s sandwichporn worthy recipe let’s just honor the special day of my favorite fictional date.
Happy Birthday Harry Potter!
I am going to watch a movie tonight, wear my Gryffindor scarf and switch TV channels with my Harry Potter wand remote control! But now let’s get back to ‘real live’ and have a sandwich together!
This is one of the recipes that just happen to develop themselves by chance.
Summer is still on here in Germany and I am still roasting giant chunks of meat at least twice sometimes even three times a week. I am a carnivore and I love it! What I love even more is the inevitable sandwich we always have for lunch the next day.
When Stefan had a shit day at work (practically the epitome of a shit week) I thought he might need a special cheer-up dinner with beef, caprese salad and some white wine. He needed it! The wine was gone in no time but we had leftovers of the beef and the caprese salad for the next day. Ciao Caprese Sandwich!
It’s two weeks today until we go to Italy for a few days and this sandwich clearly is making me look forward to it even more. But so far we’ll enjoy a little Italy at home!
- 2 spring onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 handful of fresh basil (frozen basil works fine, too)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup red vine vinegar
- 1 T sriracha
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 pound beef
- 2 slices of buffalo mozzarella
- 2 slices of tomato (I used coeur de boeuf)
- balsamic vinegar and crema di balsamico
- salt, pepper and olive oil to season
- rocket and basil leafs to garnish
- Give all the ingredients for the marinade in a food processor and mix until a smooth consistency is reached - you can also use a hand-held blender
- Give the marinade into a freezer bag and add the beef - let marinade for 1-4 hours
- Grill the beef for about 30 - 45 min depending on the size and your desired degree of doneness
- Cut the meat and let cool slightly
- In the meantime prepare the caprese - layer tomato and mozzarella slices and season with the two balsamic vinegars, a little olive oil, salt and pepper
- Now pile up your sandwich starting with bread, rocket, beef slices, caprese salad, basil leaves, bread
- If you want to make the sandwich ahead for lunch make sure to dry the mozzarella a bit. I use kitchen paper and squeeze the mozzarella as a whole. If you don't do this the bread could become quite soggy
- I prefer to use ciabatta or any white bread with caprese - it provides the Italian feeling
I am linking up with Laura to share and spread the love for being brave in the kitchen!
Today I am working from home again. Instead of my 45 minute commute I took a 45 minute morning nap. Blissful times <3 Work could be like that all the time!
Have a great Friday and a lovely weekend guys