When I came back from London two weeks ago all I could think of was the Whole Foods Salad Bar and the Veggie Sushi I ate there. And all I wanted was to recreate my favorites. Hello I just can’t wait until I’ll be set loose at Whole Foods next time in August. *Less than 3 month to go*
Okay I first made this delicious Vegan Sweet and Spicy Quinoa Salad and next I craved the Quinoa and Rice Veggie Sushi I had there like crazy! And I mean really like crazy. I once woke up in the middle of the night and all I could think of was Sushi! But I had to face two setbacks.
Confession #1: I can’t roll sushi
Confession#2: I am not patient enough to learn it anytime soon!
So why not just skip it and make it a salad instead? Tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa here is the outcome. A delicious vegan and gluten-free sushi salad with avocado and cucumber.
Avocado and Cucumber Sushi Salad
- 1 cup dry rice - I used a brown and wild rice blend but any rice will do
- 1/3 cup dry brown quinoa
- 3 T rice vinegar
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sugar add only if the rice vinegar is not already seasoned
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 large avocado
- sesame and black sesame to garnish
- soy sauce to taste - I used approx. 2 T
- Cook the quinoa and rice as usual in two different pots. When cooked, give both vinegar to the hot rice and set aside to soak
- Cut the cucumber and avocado. I like to cut the cucumber in smaller and leave a few bigger avocado chunks
- Once the rice and quinoa has cooled give all the ingredients except the sesame and soy sauce into a large bowl and let sit for approx. 1 hour
- Stir occasionally
- Give the salad into small bowls or garnish on a plate using a cup , sprinkle with sesame seed and soy sauce
If you like to eat your sushi with gari (pickled ginger) feel free to add it as a topping or mix it in the salad. That's very delicious, too!
You can store the salad in an airtight container up to 3 days but note that the avocado will possibly get a bit mushy after a while
This is a great lunch to take with you to work or wherever as it's to be eaten cold.
If you don't want to serve it all fancy-schmancy, it looks also great in a bowl 😉
I am absolutely in love with this salad as it’s light but dense in nutrition, it saturates perfectly without making you too full. It’s also light and healthy and I like to eat it for lunch when I’ve scheduled an evening workout!
I am linking up with Laura today! Let’s find out what kind of #strangebutgood recipes the other bloggers came up with 😀
Today we’re going to celebrate not only the hubby birthday with friends but it’s also our
little niece’s birthday. Okay who am I kidding? She’s 8! years old today and when she hugs me she almost don’t fit under my chin anymore. Until now she still thinks I am cool. She doesn’t complain when I cuddle her, she asks to sit next to me when we sit down to eat and she wants to braid my hair. When we walk somewhere she takes me by my hand. I know this will be over soon and I will be old and boring in her eyes and the idea of holding her aunt’s hand in public will put her off. When I think about that I could cry! How can I possibly cope with my little being a teenager soon! And all I can do is enjoy the time until she’s not interested anymore. Luckily she’s the oldest and there are 4 more to cuddle for some time….
Have a great Friday and a fabulous weekend!