Remember my cravings for hot and spicy food? They are still very prominent in my life. But unfortunately not everything is spicy enough to satisfy those cravings. And with someone with a tender throat who I am sharing meals with (I pray this will be over soon!) who asks for a moderate amount of spice in his food I definitely need to boost the food.
I found an almost too ripe mang in the fridge and instantly was sold on the idea of a sweet and spicy dipping sauce that would go along well with everything: quesadillas, potatoes, sweet potatoes and on my beloved lettuce wrapped burgers. Oh yeah especially as a burger topping…yum yum yum. So here you go with a mouth-watering salsa recipe:
- 1 ripe mango - finely diced
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 1 clove of garlic - chopped
- 1,5 cups of tomato sauce (can sub for ripe chopped tomato)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (optional, but a necessity when you use fresh tomatoes)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of pepper
- 1 tsp bell pepper powder
- 1 tsp tandoori masala
- 1 tsp sambal
- Melt the coconut butter in a small frying pan
- Add the onion and garlic and saute until lightly brown
- Now add the mango and stir-fry for about 2 minutes
- Add al the spices and the tomato and stir well
- Let cook for a few minutes until some liquid has gone
- Stir occasionally until you reach a paste-like consistency
- Let cool and serve with anything: tacos, tortillas, burger, potatoes or even spoon it
- I'd recommend to make the salsa the day before and let sit overnight. This allows the flavors do develop properly.
- Prior to serving drizzle a little lemon juice over the salsa. This gives the extra kick!
- I like my salsa chunky but if you are a member of the creamy fraction you can mash the salsa once completely cooled.
- This recipe is vegan, paleo, gluten-free and super easy and yummy.
I am linking up with Laura again today! Let’s find out what kind of #strangebutgood recipes the other bloggers came up with 😀
Have a great Friday and a fabulous weekend!