yay it’s Friday The long weekend has officially started. Yesterday evening I spent some quality time with my girls. As always it’s been so much fun! Sometimes you just need a good girl talk. And after a few drinks my friend Kristin and I subscribed for the Reebok Women’s Run in September. I am happy I don’t have to go alone. I guess I wouldn’t have made Stefan to come with me this time 😉
So for today I am sharing my recipe for Lemon & Garlic Asparagus Focaccia. I love how the lemon and garlic plays with the asparagus flavor. And the Focaccia is deliciously soft and just so morish!
It makes a great appetizer, side dish or you can just stuff your face directly from the baking tray like I usually do. The Focaccia is of course not only for asparagus. I like to top it with cherry tomatoes, cheese, rosemary, olive oil and garlic or olives. There’s no limit to your imagination And did I already mention that this is a vegan recipe?
- 20g fresh yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 200 ml warm water
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 300g spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp dried lemon peel
- 1 pound asparagus
- 2 tsp olive oil
- the juice of 1/2 lemon + 1/2 lemon sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and add the sugar - set aside for 5 min
- Give all the dry ingredients (but not the salt) in a bowl and add then first the liquid yeast and then the olive oil
- Incorporate well
- Now cover the bowl with a clean dishtowel and put in the oven at 50ºC for about 10 min
- Wash and cut the asparagus and place it in a bowl with lid
- Give the garlic in a mortar and mash well, add then the olive oil, salt and pepper and lemon juice and blend well
- Give the oil concoction and lemon slices over the asparagus, cover the lid and shake well. All the asparagus should be moist.
- The dough should have doubled now
- Add a little flour and knead the dough with the ball of your hand and the put again in the oven covered with the dishtowel for another 10 min
- Then add again a little flour and the remaining salt, knead well and place the dough in a baking tray of 30 x 25 cm
- Now cover the dough with the asparagus and press it lightly into the dough
- Bake in the over for about 25 minutes at 180ºC
- Now cut it the Focaccia into squares, slices, stars, hearts, little kitten, whatever you like
- Give some sea salt and freshly ground pepper on top
- You can store it in an airtight container for two days. Though I really like all warm foods cold this Focaccia tastes best warm. So I really recommend to heating it up a little
I hope you all spend a nice and relaxing Easter weekend and get to spend some quality time with friends and family.